Monday 5 September 2022

Technology for Kids

My son is 9 and in a few months' time, he will be 10. He knows very little about using an iPad and digital technology. My wife has asked if we should let him learn some coding/digital technology since almost every kid is exposed to it.

I shared my heart and the reason why we are homeschooling him. Because we do not plan to go with the flow. We have often been going against the tide, not that we purposely want to do so, but I guess God has given that assignment to us to will and to do according to His good pleasure.

Just last week, my niece-in-law said, "Uncle Wilson, you are living life on the edge." Though she was referring to something else, it was a good reminder of a quote that I learnt in YWAM which I haven't forgotten. It says, "If you are not living on the edge, you are just taking up space."

The nation that we have grown up with has provided us with so much comfort, that we have edged the Holy Spirit out. Is He really our True Comforter? He is most 'manifested' when we step into uncomfortable situations.

Recently, I passed my son an old iPad for him to do his Koobits. He was extremely delighted. But he didn't know how to use it. He didn't know how to download a photo and use it as wallpaper. Call me crazy, but I actually take delight in that ignorance. For I know his potential, and I know the strength of this new generation of kids. It's way easier for them to learn technology than to unlearn it.

While the iPad is given to him, there are restrictions. 

- No game is allowed to be downloaded 
- No social media is permitted. He can watch Youtube when one parent is present with him.
- He can only use the iPad with permission for the purpose of researching for information
- With the increase of his self-control and focus comes the increase of the usage of iPad

Why do we (as parents) make ourselves so miserable when we could have just thrown him the tablet and set ourselves free? Because responsibility comes with a price to pay.

One of my friends asked me, "How long are you going to protect him?"

I replied, "Until he is ready."

He responded, "How do you know when he is ready?"

I said, "I won't know until he is ready."

We often want tangible measures as Singaporeans. But there are alot of things that cannot be measured, especially when it comes to personality and character. I trust the Holy Spirit to guide us as we lean on Him, the true Father.

We love that our son is truly engaged socially with people of all ages when he meets them. A child who is so engaged with technology (at early age) will be disengaged when it comes to real-life conversations. I encountered so many of them. And this is one of the reasons why we make the tough decision to do what we do. #homeschooling

No comments:

Post a Comment